What's Happening Now
*Due to pandemic, the orphanage is close at this time.
On the village front, we have made great strides in helping children without parents to become functioning, competent citizens and enjoy the same opportunities as other Ethiopian children. Specifically, recent events have included:
- New classrooms were built for grades 1 through 6
- Computers were donated by a generous group out of England, Means of Healing
- In the process of building more classes, along with newer dormitories
- Acquired a tractor for harvesting crops
Bethel Children's Village was established in 2006. Its mission is to provide loving care to infants and children orphaned by AIDS so they may become functioning, competent citizens and enjoy the same opportunities as other Ethiopian children. The Village is now undertaking its humanitarian activities on a donated 6-acre plot of land in the town of Sebeta in the Oromia Region.
Care at the Village
Bethel Children's Village places a high priority on providing the children with a quality education. Standardized classrooms have been built, each with a full provision of books and teaching materials. The school-age children began their education at a first grade level and are now at a 5th grade level.
Shelter and Food
The Village has comfortable, child-friendly, adequately furnished, separate dormitories for girls and boys. The Village also undertakes cereal, vegetable, and animal farming, which minimizes expenses and ensures the children are fed fresh, healthy food. The children are also encouraged to participate in learning animal care and farming skills.
Children Orphaned by AIDS
Sadly, Ethiopia has one of the largest orphan populations in the world. Children orphaned by AIDS are usually forced to live on the streets with no care, education, support, or supervision. Many of them are forced to work and are exposed to various forms of exploitation.
The social and personal impact on these vulnerable children is astounding.
The children at Bethel Children's Village are given hope and opportunity. They are given the nurturing and care they would not have otherwise received, thanks to the Village's selfless teachers and volunteers. The children are equipped with the tools they need to overcome their losses and become confident, competent members of society.
- Expansion of Classrooms
- Construction of Guesthouse
- Construction of Poultry House (50 meters)
- Construction of Fattening House / Fencing (200 sq. meters)
- Installation of Drip Irrigation
- Child Improvement Center
II. Running of the Orphanage
- Increase number of orphans by 50 more children
- Books as per curriculum
- Education Materials provision, including computers for 50 children
- School Uniform provision
- Day Clothes, Night Clothes and Shoes
- Foodstuff and Health Care Provision
- Recreation Items
III. Running of the Income Generation Activities
- Purchase of Chickens, Cattle
- Fattening of Chickens, Cattle
IV. Fixed Assets
- Furnishing of the Village
- Dairy Farm Tools and Materials
- Vegetables Farm Tools and Materials
- Application Tools and Materials